Holy Great Fast Dates:
Feb 16 – Apr 3, 2015
Readings During the Holy Great Fast:
Church Schedule: “… Consecrate a fast, Call a sacred assembly” (Joel 2:15)
- Tuesdays: Divine Liturgy 10 AM -1:00 PM * Prayer Meeting 7:30 PM – 8:30 PM.
- Wednesdays: Divine Liturgy 3:30 PM -6:30 PM * English Bible Study 8:00 PM – 9:30 PM.
- Thursdays: Divine Liturgy 9 AM -12:00 Noon followed by Aghapy and Seniors Meeting.
- Fridays: Divine Liturgy 5 AM -7:30 AM * Hymns class 7:30 PM * Youth Meetings and Activities 8:00 PM.
- Saturdays: Vesper Prayers 7 PM – 7:30 PM followed by bible study and kids activities then Tasbeha.
- Sundays: Divine Liturgy 9 AM -12:00 Noon followed by Sunday School and servants meeting.
The Holy Great Fast and Spiritual Discipline
“The true fast is that in which sins, anger, tongue, and instincts are under control” (St Basil the Great).
The Holy Great Fast is often referred to as “The Spring of Our Spiritual Life”. Spring being the most beautiful season of the year and a time of spiritual renewal.
The 55 days of the Holy Great Fast are considered the most Holy days of fasting of the Coptic Church. Fifty-five days include the forty days, which were fasted by the Lord Himself, the Passion Week, and the first initial week to prepare us spiritually before this great season of renewal. We fast to commemorate His sufferings on the Holy Cross, for spiritual discipline and our salvation.
Much has been written regarding fasting associated with foods. Yet, fasting is not only abstaining from certain foods. It is a time for us to have our hearts filled with the Holy Spirit. How can our hearts be filled with the Holy Spirit and guarded against all sin? Read More From Suscopts.org >